Sunday, January 20, 2013

The New Normal?

With my parents coming home from Las Vegas early because of my uncle's death, they (or at least My Father) decided to re-commence with phase of remodeling the home that was supposed to be done by the thieving, unscrupulous contractors that ditched the job and got away with some of our stuff.  (Have I blogged about that yet?  I continue to think I don't have shit to write about, but as I finally get around to blogging I remember everything that I do want to write about.)  He somehow found this guy, oh, I don't know, hanging out at the Home Depot looking for work, and this one guy has been hired by Father to put down the tile on the upper floor.  It looks fine, but he's not done yet, and apparently he does not do weekends.

My Father asked me if I was working, inference being that if I was not working, I could stay home and oversee the contractor to make sure he wasn't going to steal shit.  But I wonder if that was a trap; if I was being honest with him, I'm afraid he would then say, "So aren't you working?  Why don't you go back to school?"  And then I would feel I have to defend myself and start yelling back at him.  So I continue to lie; I say that I do have to work, albeit at a later time (so I could get the chance to grab at least a decent amount of sleep) and shorter hours, and I either go to libraries, shopping malls, the gym or the movies.

That means that one of them has had to stay home every day this week.  This roundelay of keeping up a productive appearance continues, and it might be headed to a higher, more duplicitous level.  But I don't know what they're doing once I leave.  In fact, I am not absolutely sure that both of my parents haven't been at home this week.  I do not know if they even go to The Store anymore.  Shit, I don't even know if they are legally in possession of The Store anymore.

I have my suspicions, but I was really scared this morning when I was woken up to sounds from the kitchen. Assumed it was Father, but it actually was Mother.  Worst of all, I didn't hear any indication they were leaving for The Store.

It's cold out, and I would rather just stay inside and wait to watch the football games today.  But it feels so weird to be around my folks when they haven't left for the day.  Which means I have to do.  Despite the weather outside, I had a plan to just walk to get coffee and just stay there until about 2, when I just had to go  back and see the games.

I did not expect to see Father starting the car when I came back.  He, or they, were leaving.  And since I didn't hear anything in the 2 1/2 hours between the time he started the car and the moment I heard the door open (which was just now, a minute ago from me typing this), guess is they left to either go to The Store or go shopping.

I am OK if they continue to go out during the day.  But I'm still scared that one day they just won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment