Saturday, June 7, 2014

Sleeping With My Hair Still Wet

Having work during the day means I crash late at night.  When I'm unemployed I can get my body to settle back into its natural cycle, which means I can go to sleep at 5 in the morning and wake up at 1 in the afternoon.  But oftentimes these days I'm doing what I did last night: Pushing my body to the point where I know, absolutely know, I can't stay up past 2 o'clock no matter how hard I try.


Too bad for me that I decided to take a shower last night for the first time in three days.  Should have pushed it back another day, because when I felt the tug of unconsciousness I knew I was fucked because I had to set my wet head on something, and fast.


What's the problem with that?  I was told at a very young age never to go to bed with wet hair because it makes you dizzy.  Like you're pressing the water into your scalp which is then absorbed by the skin which ... puts the balance of the water in your body out of whack, or something.  I was just told never to do that.  Plus, it's annoying.  I probably think it's annoying because I grew up believing this potential wives' tale, but that's how I feel.


The last time this happened was in the early evening.  I decided to sleep face-down, resting on my arms, which felt totally shot when I woke up later.  But I didn't want to do that.  I knew, in my rapidly logging-off brain, that if I go down, I'm down for the rest of the night, and I don't want to wake up with my arms devoid of blood for the past several hours.


My hair's getting long, I surmised when I touched the back of my head and felt it was wet.  Well, kind of wet.  Not soaking wet, not just-stepped-out-of-the-shower wet, but it wasn't dry, either.  I didn't have the energy to find the hair dyer, either.  So I touched the side of my hair and thought it was a tad wetter, so I can't sleep on my side.


I had to do it: I had to fall asleep, face-up, with my hair still wet underneath.  Ick, I thought to myself as I nodded to and fro, feeling the moisture in both ear canals bug me back into settling in a position where my nose is pointed upward.


Woke up just fine, though very early.  Hair's all dry.  Looks like crap, although I don't care because my unkempt hair will look like crap.  And yet I feel like ... I don't know, kind of oogy, kind of like I slept in one of the puddles forming during the rain we had overnight/are having right now.  And is this dizziness I feel from a lack of rest or from some nebulous sense of guilt?

No comments:

Post a Comment