Monday, June 2, 2014

Missed The Nightly News Opening Last Week

Last week, or the week ending Sunday, Monday/Memorial Day was the only time I was able to see the beginning of the national nightly news, which is something I have been obsessed with in the past.  I no longer have (well, had) work to prevent me from coming home to see it, yet I was busy with a bunch of stuff -- sleeping last Sunday, a movie on Tuesday, getting my parents' money out of my account so they don't get suspicious Wednesday, work Friday and coming home late from doing stuff away from the house Saturday and Sunday.

Which left Thursday.  The schedule broke down so that I could get home, water the tomato plants for Mother, then step back in the house to catch the beginning of the nightly news (I think I selected NBC).

I was listening to my iPod while watering, just to keep myself entertained.  Mosquitoes were attacking my legs, but I just wanted to go out there and give the plants a good soaking and have enough time to sneak back in after I was done.  I didn't bring my watch or iPhone with me outside, so I depended on the clock on my iPod.

I was cutting it close.  It said 5:29 by the time I opened the back door.  I was trying to listen to the TV, which I kept on, just in case I didn't have time for it to turn on.  I heard nothing ... then I heard Brian Williams.  Shit!  I didn't get to the TV screen in time to see the opening!!

I don't know why this bothers me, but it's probably my OCD.  And in this case all I was doing was watering the plants.  I could have come in two, three, five minutes earlier.  But I was going by the time on my iPod, which I thought was accurate.  Or, the NBC Nightly News starts a few seconds before 5:30, or at 5:29.  I don't know, I just know that I had a golden opportunity to make sure I saw the beginning of a national nightly newscast and I didn't make it because I was too late, and it pisses me the fuck off.

No comments:

Post a Comment