Thursday, June 26, 2014

Why Don't I Ever Anti-Pick Myself?

I bet $25 on Virginia to beat Vanderbilt in Game 3, the final game, the winner-take-all event of the College World Series last (Wednesday) night.  They were the overwhelming favorite as well as one of the eight national seeds and the highest remaining national seed since, I believe, the end of Regionals.

So what happens?  Of course the Cavaliers lose to the Commodores.  The Wahoos gave up a run in the top of the first due to shakiness from their starting pitcher, a bad error and a blown call at second, but they manage to tie it at two in the middle innings, even though they wound up leaving the bases loaded.  Sadly some UVa reliever coughed up a solo home run to left field in the eighth, and it stuck.  And I am now out twenty-five bucks.

Why don't I ever Anti-Pick myself?  I've run hypothetical wagers for NFL, college football and NCAA men's basketball tournament season, and I've been awful, and therefore anybody picking against me should be making a fortune.  So why the fuck am I not picking against myself?  After I decided that Virginia was going to win the game I should immediately have bet on Vanderbilt.  But no, I have to have my thought process -- which, when it comes to betting, equals my intellect -- validated by my winnings.  And despite the embarrassing results, I keep using my head.  I should just realize that any sports team I bet on will lose, guaranteed.

I've got a live two-leg parlay for today (Thursday): Germany and the U.S. draw, and Portugal and Ghana draw.  I made that bet during the College World Series game, and since the Cavs were trailing the Dores at the time, I decided to rachet down my parlay wager from $50 to $25.  Also, I intend to lay down $100 to flat-out win over Algeria some time tomorrow.  Which means that I could be out $150 without making a single goddamn cent.

WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment