Sunday, November 15, 2015

List Of NFL Teams That Should Play Road Games Because Their Stadia Might Be Hosting College Football Conference Championship Games

I have a dream, but I don't say it out loud because I know people think it's stupid.  I would love to schedule an entire National Football League schedule, just one year.  I don't know why, I just think it'd be cool -- assuming, of course, I could do it.  Apparently four people do it every year, but I don't think it's that hard, is it?

I would imprint my values if I do it; I want to see on NFL schedules what I think should be done.  For example, I'll do as much as I can to alternate home and road games.  Also, I'll have, if possible, franchises that have relocated to play those cities late in the year, and the last game of the year if it's possible.  For example, the Baltimore Ravens would host the Indianapolis Colts, the team that was stolen from Baltimore, in the next-to-last week, and then the Ravens would play at the Cleveland Browns (remember that the Ravens are the first version of the Cleveland Browns; their name was changed as a condition of the franchise being taken from Cleveland) the last week of the regular season.

Another I would do is not tax stadia that is being shared by both NFL and college teams.  For the second and final year, TCF Bank Stadium is the home site for the Minnesota Vikings as well as the main tenant, the University of Minnesota football team.  There have been some weekends last and this year where both teams are playing on the same weekend, so I have to think that it's incredibly difficult on the stadium facility workers to turn around and change the midfield logos and the colors of "MINNESOTA" in both end zones in less than 24 hours.  Obviously they do it.  But wouldn't it be better to coordinate the Gophers' and Vikings' schedule so that there is only one game a week there?  I don't think that's too hard to ask or schedule.

This brings up something that's on my mind now.  The first Saturday in December is the weekend where college football championship games are staged.  That translates to Week 13 in the NFL schedule.  Some college football championship games are scheduled to be played in NFL stadiums.  Some conference champ games are determined by which team has the better record, and therefore the stadium won't be determined until the previous weekend.  In The Real World arrangements seem to be made where the pro game can be played a day after that championship game, but if I were the scheduler, I would make it so that the NFL team of the stadium that will or may host a champ game will be on the road that week.  And just because, I'll try and schedule the road game that takes them the farthest away from home for that week.

Anyway, there are several teams that will be occupied that Friday or Saturday, and so I would think it's a good idea to let the people working at the stadium have as much time as possible to prepare the field for the NFL tenant and not burn the midnight oil trying to turn it over in 24 hours' time.  These are the teams playing on the road the weekend of Sunday, December 6, and the college conference that would force them to play away from home:

  • Detroit Lions (Mid-American)
  • Atlanta Falcons (Southeastern)
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers (American Athletic)
  • Philadelphia Eagles (American Athletic)
  • San Diego Chargers (Mountain West)
  • Carolina Panthers (Atlantic Coast)
  • San Francisco 49ers (Pacific-12)
  • Indianapolis Colts (Big Ten)
I know this is weird, but indulge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment