Monday, November 9, 2015

Of All The Days To Be Asked To Work Late ...

... I would be asked to work on a night where I actually had somewhere to go.  The roller derby championships were finishing up Sunday night, and if I got there early enough (I had my fingers crossed) I would've been able to not only see the championship game (one hell of a game, by the way) but also the consolation.

It was not to be.  First of all, that the game went into Overtime didn't help matters.  Then I was told to sit tight.  Then I was told to get meals for some people.  Oh, how I hated this.  I needed to assemble boxes of food, by myself, for a half-hour.  And then only one person ate it.  Man, I put my whole heart and soul into this!

And then I was told to stick around more before I was asked to help with cars.  At this point not only did I miss the consolation, I was in danger of not even making the title bout.  I had never been asked to work this late after a game before.  Why now?  And why did it have to be on day where I had to leave?  Every single time I've worked for these guys I had nothing to do Sunday night, so if I had to stay, sure, I could do it.  But I never been asked to stay as long as I did last night.  Thirty, forty-five minutes, tops.  But two hours?  Just my damn luck.

And after I thought I was done with the cars this person I had worked "with" before asked me to get one more car.  And that's when I kind of gave off the attitude of, "Uh, I don't want to," at which case she just got another person to do it.  I'm thinking that this is going to damage my ... uh, "standing" in her eyes, but dammit, I needed to leave, and if this costs me a job in the future, well, shit, I still don't think I had much "standing" with them before because of the way I feel I've been treated by some of this crew before, so what do I care?

I parked half an hour away because I thought that once I got cut, I would be in a perfect spot to get to St. Paul while avoiding all the post-game traffic.  But since I stayed two hours, all the traffic was gone, so the "advantage" I thought I gave myself became an absolute pain-in-the-ass.  I tried, I really tried walking fast to my car, but it was still 30 minutes, and then I had to drive to St. Paul and park, and then I realized I needed to pee, and then I wanted to get a beer, and cars were driving too slow in front of me ... it was a shitshow, and of course it happened when I had to be somewhere.

Thankfully the title bout started at little past the top of the hour.  Unfortunately, I still missed the first 3 1/2 minutes -- could have been worse, but I really thought I would have been in my seat from the first whistle.  So, in a sense, last night was a lose-lose: I wanted to get to the roller derby championship bout but I missed the first portion of it, and meanwhile I could have stayed and helped the crew finish its work but I didn't and I could have that held against me.  Maybe I could've just said my bosses I needed to leave now and get to St. Paul on time.  Or, maybe I could've stayed until they were completely done and missed more of the title bout.  I did something in the middle, and like most things when you try for something in the middle of the road, you get run over from both directions.

---

The blessing in disguise was that I was not in the same unit as the people whom I'm uncomfortable with.  The rejection I felt over by these guys for not having the job I initially I was going to have when I started my "career" with these people has been replaced with the relief I felt knowing that I didn't need to deal with distasteful people.  That I could work in a position where I wouldn't get stressed out?  And get paid for two days?  With overtime, too (I got that once I stayed a little over last night)?  Even better.

Again, maybe they don't feel the way towards me that I feel towards them (which is the result of how I felt they treated me before, do you follow me?), I'll allow for that possibility.  But this was an instance where I did not confront or make a scene.  Instead, I just walked away, so my head could cool and I would not do or say something foolish.  Maybe that's the best I can do with these guys nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment