Tuesday, November 24, 2015

And I Now I Feel Poor Again

My money worries have been alleviated for the moment.  With this well-paying job I have no angst over paying my bills, spending money on eating out, strippers, or eating out strippers.

That kind of changed Monday.  I didn't have time to take money out of the ATM, even though I've made it a point lately to use cash more and my credit card less.  Also according to my principles, if I use my credit card, I use it for all transactions for that day.

So I did.  And it was fine -- cereal at work, went to the Hard Rock to eat during Happy Hour while I waited for traffic to slow down, blah-blah-blah.  But then I went to get the oil changed in my parents' minivan.  They go to this place well down a side street on the way to downtown Minneapolis, and it's convenient because they are open weeknights until 11, so I watched Dancing With The Stars, had a bowel movement, and left at 9:30 to do something that shouldn't take more than an hour.

When they were done, they weren't done.  The guy told me that there is oil leaking around the engine.  So that puddle on the driveway was something!  So I figured that, as long as I was there, I should get the engine degreased so they could start a dye test.  I'm supposed to bring it in later this week to see where the leaks are, and then they'll hit with a further estimate, one I won't be able to act on because, right now, the minivan is the only mode of transportation I have.

The oil change itself was just $25, but with this test it added another $55.  Oh, and they suggested they clamp down the hood shield, which was another $15.  So what was advertised on the sandwich board outside the shop as $19 turned out to be, with tax, a little more than $108.  Add that to:

  • Cereal at work, which was $1.60;
  • Dinner at Hard Rock, which was about $24.50;
  • and eating Godfather's Pizza and buying a Vanilla Coke from the gas station across the street -- might as well eat while I was waiting -- which was $7.16;
And I charged/spent $141.50 or so yesterday.  I made a quick calculation; that's a little more than a days' pay.  Didn't anticipate that.  And what if I should pay for repairs for these oil leaks in the minivan?  Those days last year of seeing the money I made being thrown into my car for various problems is coming back to haunt me -- and it's not even my car!

No comments:

Post a Comment