Saturday, June 18, 2016

Kissing My Father's Ass?

So My Fucking Father wouldn't talk to me at all on Thursday, so, because I've been traumatized to the point of brainwashing, yesterday (Friday) I felt I had to do something to placate him.  And then I remembered: Sunday is Father's Day.  I treated Mother out for steak; I think I would have to return the same favor for him, even though I had no idea he would be coming home.  (Why the hell is he home, anyway?)

Calling on the phone and dealing with his tone might have been too much and would have derailed me even further from work -- why the hell did I just trust this guy, anyway, the guy's a fucking temp! -- so I dipped my toe in the water by texting him.  We went back-and-forth, but cordially; he said we would talk about it after I got home.

I was afraid he would use Sunday's dinner as a jumping-off point to talking about My Future.  He didn't do that.  He didn't do much talking.  Instead, Mother drove the conversation about where to go.  They still haven't decided yet, but since it is Father's Day, Father gets to choose.  My folks are busy today (Saturday) because my brother and sister-in-law are taking them out for dinner one day early.  It'll be around that time where he decides where to go.  If that place takes reservations, I hope I can make them post-haste.

All in all, I wonder why My Fucking Father is not crabby.  My hypothesis as to why he isn't (as of now) is that he's happy that both of his sons are "being men" by taking him out to eat.  Because he's the Father, and it's Father's Day, and that is what he is owed.  I am thinking along those same cynical lines when my niece comes.  He barely interacts with her.  And Mother says that when they're out in Vegas he is asking my brother for pictures of her all the time, but when they're here in Minnesota and she asks Father if he wants to go out to see her, he goes no.  This might be a dickish thing to say, but I think it's true: He doesn't like having a granddaughter so much as he likes the concept of being a grandfather.  That might not make much sense to you, but it makes a whole bunch of sense to me.

Well, we'll see how long the good times last.  I'm betting that My Fucking Father will talk to me about finding a good job (which he's right about, at least now) or going back to college (I still don't know about that) during Father's Day Dinner, which will be either at The Only Chinese Restaurant They Will Go Out To, or Burger King.

No comments:

Post a Comment