Sunday, June 19, 2016

So I Didn't Tell Them I Was Leaving

I got done mowing the lawn this morning, and after getting cleaned up I was on my way out to go to Caffetto and then to watch the Euro soccer matches at the Best Western in St. Paul.  I open the door, which sets off the chime ... but then I thought, You know, I should tell them I'm leaving, even though they know I always leave during a weekend day.

I look downstairs to see a light emanating from Father's computer room, which means that Father is on the computer.  And as I walk down the stairs I see a faint light from where Mother would be in her office.  So I'm at the bottom of the stairs, staring at the back of Father's head, and he looked like he was totally concentrating on reading up on news from China or something.  And the only thing I could think of was him berating me about going back to school or finding a full-time job.

I was up early today, and I actually spoke to both of my parents as they were headed off to walk around the neighborhood and I was getting ready to mow the lawn.  Mother reminded me about having Father's Day dinner next week as well as setting the alarm when I leave.  So, I also figure that besides avoiding any uncomfortable blindside talks about My Future, they kind of knew I was leaving -- if not from seeing me this morning, from knowing what I usually do.  Therefore, after looking at the back of My Father's head for a couple seconds, I walked back up the stairs and out the door without saying anything.

I mean, I don't want to act distant.  But, well, there were many times when they left without saying they were leaving.  (Of course, I was probably in my room when they left.  They probably thought I was asleep.)  And besides, they heard the chime.

I wasn't being a dick when I left ... was I?

No comments:

Post a Comment