Thursday, June 2, 2016

Thanks For Narrowing It Down, Google Maps

So I checked a few days ago, and I just checked now, about the directions to the place I have to go in the morning to start my next test scoring project.  It's not the satellite place I went to work at the past few years, instead it's in a different complex within the city, if you're still with me.  Even though getting to this place is 9 1/2 miles shorter than the other place for the project I finished up a week-and-a-half ago (and will probably need to go back to again in August), it's about a mile farther away from the one I went to last year.

As such, I need to make sure that I know how to get there.  So I consulted Google Maps, twice now, about which highway to go to and, more importantly, how long it'll take me.

Using their projections about what time to leave in order to "arrive by" a specific time on a specific date, they recommended what I guessed would be the shortest and fastest route, which is the same directions I would take to the old place.  However, Google Maps says it could take as long as an hour to get there ... and as short as 35 minutes.

So, I could leave home between 35 minutes and an hour in order to make it to work on time.  That's a spread of 25 friggin' minutes.  When you're talking about at most an hour's worth of driving, having a +/- of 25 minutes makes that range nearly worthless.  How does that help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment