Monday, August 21, 2017

Wish Me Luck Finding The Eclipse!

I am both excited and mentally shrugging over the eclipse tomorrow.

Let's face it: A lot of people are trying to drive to the path of totality, and I don't think 1% of those people know exactly what they're doing to maximize their chances of seeing the total eclipse and minimize any problems getting there along the way.  So the vast, vast majority of us -- me included -- are really flying blind.

I mean, my plan, such as it is, is waking up early in the morning and driving to the coordinates to what is being called the point where the total eclipse lasts the longest.  It's somewhere in the city of Makanda, Ill., the Solar Eclipse "Centre," and I'm planning on driving there.  How?  Fuck if I know.  I plan on waking up and immediately leaving my hotel room at 4 or 4:30, but I have no idea if that's too late.  I also hear that traffic will reach levels not unlike that of people fleeing the path of a hurricane.  Since I am unfamiliar with hurricanes, that analogy means nothing to me.  So what if I do if I'm stuck on the highway at, oh, 6 in the morning?  Do I tough it out or do I go to a different place?

Plus I just saw the weather forecast which said the weather in Carbondale is going to be cloudy.  However, the next best place to see the eclipse, Hopkinsville, Ky., may have fewer clouds.  So instead of driving 2 1/2 hours (without traffic, of course), it looks as though I'll be driving 4 hours into Kentucky for a chance, just a chance, to see the eclipse totally unobstructed.

Again, I'm flying blind here, and maybe I shouldn't.  The whole purpose of this trip to STL is this.  I don't want to blow, but since I don't know what I'm doing, how can I not blow it?

I need to do to bed now.  I am going to face a shitty, tired day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment