Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Perils Of Working So Close To Home

So I start a new position today.  It's short-term, but although I was initially led to believe it would be only this and next week, another person who says he has better knowledge of the company says I should expect it to last a month.  At any rate I will be out before the health insurance company asks me back, which is in November, which is a month later than last year, which really scares me.  It also doesn't help that it's part-time, about 24 hours a week.  I mean, I am glad I'm getting any work at all.  But if I'm good enough for 40/week, I should be seeking that out, even if it's going to last only six weeks.

One big advantage is that the job's in the next town over.  In fact, it's in the same city as the high school I went to.  In fact, it's only five minutes away.  But is it really an advantage?  For one thing, I'm so close that my parents might drive past my place of work and my car.  I don't think this will be the case because I'll be driving in a direction my folks don't go.  Famous last words, of course, but they have no reason to be up in that part of our neighborhood.  However, I didn't think till tonight (I agreed to the job basically this morning) that since I'm in a part of town where I went to high school, there's a chance that I'll be working with or even for someone I went to high school with.  I doubt it ... well, now that I think about it, it's a decent chance.  Man, what will I say -- "Hey, how's it goin'?  Long time no see, eh?"

I'm screwed, aren't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment