Thursday, August 10, 2017

More Bad Vibes

Started the new test scoring project yesterday (Wednesday), and while I am thankful for something like this out-of-season (it's rare to score papers in the month of August), I did not realize until we began that this was a field test.  And the last two years when I was assigned to a field test, our time on them was drastically cut.  I mean, we were slated to work 2 1/2 weeks and instead worked, at most, three days.

It seems as though that the plan is to work through 50 questions, which would give us 1 1/2 weeks of work.  That would be great; this was also supposed to run 2 1/2 weeks, but I have to be gone after next week on my roadtrip, and the company actually said it was OK, so cutting it this short means I would actually be done with this project before I take off.  And yet I'm still wary that I'm going to come in this (Thursday) morning and the leadership is going to say, "Sorry, they don't need any more papers -- your last day is today!"  That would piss me off.

As it would this guy I see from the other test scoring place.  This is the guy who ripped the creamer out of my hands and apologized for doing it a couple weeks later.  (He actually was one of at least three other people I know only from the other test scoring place who I was surprised to see there.  Moonlighting apparently isn't something only I do.)  He still seems like a nice guy, but I think his blow-up with me is part of a pattern.  I say that because, when in the middle of discussing how to zoom in on a paper, one of the other test scorers (someone I've worked with before and who is really nice) told him something he apparently already knew, and he told her that rudely: "BUT I ALREADY KNOW THAT!" he shouted/snapped at her, without any justifiable provocation.  Yep, that guy has anger issues, so maybe I should discount that apology since he does not seem to be able to learn that it's less useful to apologize that to finally learn not to do something you have to apologize for in the first place.

Oh yeah, I also don't feel as though my feedback I theoretically get to give on these field tests is valued because the room boss takes, like, three minutes to ask all the questions we have to ask.  Plus she's at the front of the room while she asks them and I'm in the back, so I feel as though she can't see me.  And this screamy guy who took my creamer likes to give his opinion frequently, so I cower in his shadow.

Guess what I'm saying is that I'm getting real bad vibes with this project and wouldn't totally mind if it ended soon.  Like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment