Tuesday, August 15, 2017

You Know What? I Think Martin Freeman Is An Asshole

I guess I need to vent my rage over what happened in Charlottesville by spraying my hose at another person.  But when I saw what I saw last night, I kind of want to talk about it.




You know Martin Freeman, actor?  Bilbo Baggins, he's on Fargo, he is Watson on PBS' Sherlock?  I think he's an asshole.  I kind of knew that in 2014, when an in-depth piece about him was done in Entertainment Weekly in conjunction with his stint in Fargo.  This guy, who seemed to be a diffident Englishman on TV came off as, well, as a defensive prick.  It's kind of eye-opening how odd of a mensch he was in this story, and you should read it.




That perception of him was reinforced on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert last night.  I stayed up to watch Anthony Scarramucci at the beginning of the show and Liam Gallagher at the end.  But in the middle was guest Bob Odenkirk, who was appearing for Better Call Saul.  Colbert asked him how Odenkirk, who made his bones as a comic actor, has changed his approach in acting now that he's a dramatic one.  He eventually said that one of the main differences is that you cannot suggest how your fellow actor should do a scene in a drama the way you can recommend a line to your co-star in a comedy.  He learned that the hard way from Freeman (who he says are now friends ... OK) on the set of Fargo.  When Odenkirk said that Freeman should do something different in a scene they're about to shoot, Freeman stared at him, burned his sight through him and said, quietly and thus menacingly: "Don't ever do that again."


I wasn't there on the set, obviously.  But if any actor did that to me, just for suggesting something, that asshole would be dead to me.  So all you people who are fanboying and fangirling over Freeman, you people are starfuckers.  I see right through him.  I see the real him.  He's an asshole, and thus unworthy of my respect.


Will see him in The Black Panther, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment