Monday, April 27, 2020

I'm Starting To Get Used To Part-Time

Mondays such as today I work 9-1.  The other four days I work 8:30-12:30.  As I alluded to before, the work usually does not stretch even that long.  Nevertheless, we are told to stay and do ... something until we get to four hours.  And we get to keep our benefits if we "work" 20 hours each week.  Yes, for that I am thankful.  Still, I would like to work full-time.  I don't want to be on the dole, as generous as the benefits are during this economic shutdown.  (Don't appreciate the tax bill that will bite me in the ass next year, but maybe I need to worry about that next year.)  Maybe I should be grateful just to still have this, because it could be and/or get worse.

With that being said, now that we are on our ... third?  Fourth (man, the weeks run together now) week under this ... arrangement, I'm getting used to it.  I don't like losing half my pay each day.  But I love having half a day to do whatever the hell I want.  And I'm enjoying it; I'm eating fast food, I'm taking naps (at least until lately, when it's getting hot), I'm walking around (at least until lately; more on that in a future blog post), etc.  I feel good about looking forward to working only four hours instead of eight (even though I still have my disagreements with it; I'll also try and blog post about those disagreements).  And I don't have to wake up at 6 to report at 7.  The later start times help me get up at a more sane hour ... even though, to be fair, I take advantage of it by staying up later.

What I am saying is that I am inevitably looking at the bright side of this New Normal.  And so, as usual, if we get back to our Old Normal, I will look forward to some things, but I'll be upset that I have to adapt to change yet again and will thus miss some things I'm getting used to now.

No comments:

Post a Comment