Saturday, April 18, 2020

Next Internet Wormhole: Minibars And Wine Fridges And Minifridges

Why?  I don't know.  I just started thinking about what if I had to live alone?  I think it was prompted by the coronavirus and my fear that it would take my parents.  The other day I was looking up floorplans for studio and one-bedroom apartments and thinking how much room would I really need.  And then I remembered that I was a grown man and I could have alcohol in my place.  So, what would I need -- specifically, what types of alcohol, and what glasses, and what tools, and what of the, uh, other stuff would I need?  And where would I put all of those things?

So I went on the Wirecutter and Amazon and started looking up minibars and cocktail bars.  To indulge my fantasy, I'll tell you that I didn't find one thing I really liked.  They were all huge -- too huge for the studio or one-bedroom in my mind -- and they were all ornate and they were all expensive.  I think the cheapest one I saw was $200.  Shoot, at that point, couldn't I just throw everything I need in my kitchen cabinet?

(In the middle of all this I was looking specifically at what kinds of alcohol I needed to buy.  The recommendations on the Internet are not in consensus, so if in my hypothetical minibar, I would pare it down to what one website called the "six base spirits" -- vodka, gin, tequila, rum ... uh ... whiskey and ... bourbon?  Scotch?  Brandy?  Maybe there's only five.  Or four.  This is getting so complicated, it's not fun to dream about anymore.)

Oh, and all these minibars all have racks for wine.  I have it in my head already that wines should be in the fridge.  I dreamed about owning a wine refrigerator, a small one, since, oh, last night, when I thought about getting a wet bar.  So I went on the Wirecutter to find out what the best mini-wine fridge is.  And that took up a lot of time, too.

And then I thought that, since I'll be a swinging bachelor and I doubt I'll ever buy food that I need to store since I love fast food and I can't cook, why would I need a full refrigerator?  I just need a mini-fridge -- probably the biggest one possible, because I'll have to throw at least my pop in there.  And with the recommendations from the Wirecutter and Amazon, I thought about putting the wine fridge on top of the mini-, to save space.  And then I thought about how low the mini-fridge will be if I don't have a big one, and my back is killing me, so do I really want to just put what will the refrigerator I use on the floor where I would have to stoop to get my food?  And then I went on some industrial warehouse website to find a platform which is supposed to be used as risers or stairs for workers to work in high places and to use that instead to life up both fridges closer to eye level.

And then it was four o'clock in the morning and Father was up and in the kitchen and I went to bed after wasting two or three hours fantasizing about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment