Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Car: Three Things

When I drove downtown for my previous job the Check Engine light rarely came on.  Now that I have resumed being a flu biller, and despite this workplace being a little closer, for some reason it's gone on twice since I began Monday.  Maybe it's the weather or the fact that this commute demands more stops and starts.  But it has.

When it came on on my way to work Tuesday I thought I had time to get it checked, but the woman who helped me said that she couldn't get her diagnostic tool to read, or something.  At least there are other auto shops, and thankfully they're all open before I have to go to work, so when it came on again Wednesday morning, and it looked like I had time to go out of my way to find a spot before I had to come in for work at 8, I decided to cast my fate to the winds and go to an O'Reilly's to get the light diagnosed.  After all, it seems as if only that store has the OBD-I code reader I need for my 1993.

But then I got lost.  Decided to hang a left that turned into the entrance ramp into 35WS.  I was nowhere near where the O'Reilly's was, and I wound up having to hightail it back to work a few minutes late.

---

Tried to sleep in my car in the afternoon.  First of all, bad idea because it was hot.  I was sweating through my clothes and I was miserable.  Won't do that again, even if I have to sleep in the eatery next door.

But I tried to bring down my driver's-side window before I tried falling asleep, and I couldn't.  All the other windows were find, but the driver's-side wasn't.  That reminded me of the time my rear passenger window inexplicable broke and opened up, requiring me to prop it closed with tape.  And for the rest of the day I was wondering, What the hell is can go wrong with the car?

However I try it again at the end of the day, and it worked.  So I guess my driver's-side window does not work unless my car's starting.  I don't think that's "working" per se, but as long as I can bring it down when I need to, such as a drive-thru, guess I'm OK.

---

Meanwhile in the afternoon I called another spot during work to see if they had the right diagnostic tool.  They said yes.  My Check Engine light did not turn on till I passed the store on way home, but I decided to go back because of the traffic (I should talk about that in a blog post soon).

Went in and said that I was here to get it diagnosed.  The guy at the counter said they can't do OBD-I's.  Told him I was told this.  He asked one guy if he helped me, then went into the back.  Came out and said that that guy back there heard a year different from the "1993" I said over the phone.  Well, that's bullshit.  I was extremely clear what year my car is.  And so I had to waste my time, pulling my car out of traffic and driving out of my way here, just to drive back.

You know, I've had nothing but trouble from this place.  I will admit that all my problems with this store stem from one guy, some short dumbass.  Whenever I purchase something, he always tells me I have to go to another register at the counter because I'm paying by cash.  I have no idea what that means, and that happens to me every time, and I especially don't like the stupid tone this asshole takes with me whenever I have step to another counter.  What the hell does that even mean?

And now, this.  I don't know if it's the same guy, but if it is, the next time I see him, I'm clawing his eyes out.  Now this guy who helped me yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon was at least a stand-up person.  But there's no fucking way I'm giving this store any more business, not after this.

So to the AutoZone on Central Avenue, go fuck yourself.  Cheapo should have never sold you the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment