Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Great Column About Roman Polanski's Recent Arrest

I don't want to sound too much like a Republican, and there is such a thing as letting bygones be bygones, but I didn't mind director Roman Polanski getting arrested for child rape after fleeing the States and vowing never to come back.

But even better is this post defending the arrest and lambasting Polanski's defenders. Screenwriters make for great columnists because of their way with words, and Michael Seitzman made the case for his arrest better than I ever could.

One other thing: I usually find it hard to defend a crime if the victim of that crime no longer wants his or her attacker prosecuted. But in regards to Samantha Geimer, the 13-year-old who was drugged and was unable to defend herself from Polanski having her way with her, I feel differently. Seitzman makes an impassioned yet logical case that this rape goes beyond one particular girl. But I have to admit that I feel this way partly because of the lengths to which Geimer, who now is married and has kids, is trying to have the case dismissed in Los Angeles District Court. Read this article from January, please. I hope I'm wrong; maybe she really wants nothing to do with Polanski at all, and this is a way to be rid of him once and for all. But, and I'm speculating, that if I were her, I might not like it, but I'd let justice take its course. At the very least I would not take legal steps to get the case dismissed. And I certainly wouldn't go on Larry King Live to talk about it. If you don't want publicity, don't go out in public. Keep your head down, turn down all requests for interviews and just live your life.

Instead, in the article Geimer continually criticizes, if not attacks, the district attorneys for keeping the arrest warrant on Polanski active. One of her quotes really bugs me:

I have become a victim of the actions of the District Attorney.

I thought you were the victim of Polanski, Ms. Geimer. And these guys are just trying to help -- maybe not you anymore, but other 13-year-old girls who could be raped by men who think they could get away with it because of the precedent set by Polanski. I find it puzzling, if not bizarre, that Geimer sees herself harmed more by the city attorneys than Polanski. In fact, it sounds like she is actually defending Polanski. And that both creeps me out and pisses me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment