Friday, September 25, 2009

How Many Rows Of Stars Are On The American Flag?

That's the daily trivia question at the Caribou Coffee I go to. I get it right, I get ten cents off.

I thought I had it. I knew it alternated between, like 6 and 7 stars, so I counted up to 50 and realized the math didn't work. I looked behind me to make sure no one was waiting behind me. No one was. So I redid the math with 5 and 6 stars ... OK, 11 stars per two rows ... "seven!"

"Nine," she said.

And after I did the math, nine was perfect: If there are 11 stars per two rows, there are 44 for eight, and one more row of six stars equals nine.

How the fuck did I mess that up? I wasn't rushed, there wasn't anybody behind me after I got the answer right. God, how can I be so stupid? And now I paid a dime more than I should have.

I'm getting old. I'm breaking down.

No comments:

Post a Comment