Friday, September 4, 2009

Maybe I Shouldn't've Been So Productive

When I woke this morning I was as refreshed and hopeful looking forward to he day as I've been in a long time.  I had stuff to do, and even the alarm clock (something I haven't woken up to in a long time) didn't bother me or stop me for getting going!  I needed to put my deposit together, I had to write a note to a person I went to high school to throw into a packet of Swiss chocolates I'm sending her, I planned on finally bringing in my pruning shears and the St. Thomas bag I got from the State Fair (more on that later) so my parents won't ask questions ... I was doing a lot of things, and as I looked through my to-do list in my Franklin Quest/Covey, I was ticking them off, one by one.  What a feeling of accomplishment!

The only thing is that I left later than I wanted to.  I had to get to the U. for my "job" in an hour, and I still had to go to the post office.  Early in my drive I spat up a lot of phlegm.  I tried to wait for a red light, but I didn't really get a chance to put my car in park so I can open the driver's-side door and spit it all out.  My commute was stop-free for the first time in a very long time, if not ever, and this was a time I didn't want that.  But I was able to make it to the post office; I spat on some rocks behind a tree in front of the office.

I wanted to get lunch.  I was squeezed for time, but I got a primo spot as close as I could to campus without paying for parking.  Wanted to go to Subway -- aw, damn line.  My backup plan was McDonald's.  I had, like, 15 minutes to eat.  But I wanted to try another of their Angus Burgers 'cause the first one was good.  But geez, it was expensive; over six bucks?!  I really can't afford that, and I thought I put myself on a budget after my trip to Switzerland.  But there was no line, and when I was asked to order, I got the Angus Burger with mushroom and swiss.  What the hell, you only live once, right?

And I only had 15 minutes to wolf my Extra Value Meal down.  Damn, is this going to hurt tonight (and it did; I've been either shitting or feeling like I should shit all night).  But I speedwalk over to the building then take the elevator (which thankfully was waiting for me).  I get to the "office" ... and I don't see my "boss."  Well, she sometimes runs late and is even a little scatterbrained; once she sees me she'll set me up.

After a couple minutes her colleague sees me and says that he hasn't seen her all day.  He let me use his computer to check my e-mail.  And sure enough, she cancelled the session.  If I only wasn't in a rush to leave because I had all this shit I had to do, I would've lollygagged it on down to the computer to browse the Internet and check my e-mail, where, at a little past 7:30 in the morning, my "boss" told me she wasn't going to come in -- thereby sparing me the need to rush out and get my things, any pressure to get into my car and drive to the post office and then to the U. on time, and, most importantly, my indecision and then gross display of consumption food that I would not've eaten.  Hell, I wouldn't need to go to the U.  I could've done even other productive things today, most importantly get my hair cut.  I'm not complaining too much; I got some things done.  And yet I feel like I wasted time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment