Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Initial Thoughts On My New Job

  • My new job is ... well, it is.  Cannot divulge details; I have a $900 credit card bill and a trip to Tuscany that's setting me back $1,200, and I need to keep this job for as long as it goes.  But this is still traditional employment, with a setting, expectations to be civil, co-workers and, uh, rules.  And it gets old.  Sorry, maybe I should get along a little more, but I find working in general to be boring.  Maybe I'm not cut out for the old 9-to-5.  Maybe I should be a writer.
  • I spend my evenings staring at a computer.  Eye strain, big-time.  If this stretches to an all-day project, where I could be going up to a dozen hours looking at a screen, I might be in big trouble.  Then again, I have bills to pay, so I have to suck it up.
  • The other thing that's wearing on me now is the fact that I have the same problem I'm looking at time and time again.  At first I thought it'd be cool because it'd make things easier; I only have to worry about this certain range of solutions, which would lessen my aggravation of certain answers coming from out of the blue.  But now I'm deathly bored of seeing the same responses, right and wrong.  I feel my brain shutting down about an hour into my shift.  I have to talk to myself or space out to continue my night.
  • I was warned during my interview that the main requirement for this job -- besides showing up -- is taking criticism.  I said I could take it, even though I really can't.  But I didn't get any "critiques" in my week-and-a-half working there ... till tonight, when I was ... um ... lectured/condescended to/maybe just made aware of a discrepancy.  I hid it well -- played it off as a mistake, how could I have done that? -- but inside I crumbled.  The rest of the evening I was thinking to myself, "Well, that's it.  If I can't do my job to the best of my abilities, I might as well be fired!"  The paranoid part of me thinks I'm now on probation by my supervisors.  I very well could be.  See, this is why I'm a writer: No one can say you're doing a bad job.

No comments:

Post a Comment