Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day, A Good Time To Change

Surprisingly on the ball today.

I've been doing things tonight that I've been putting off for a long time.  It feels good.  Well, not really.  Most of these tasks involve money -- spending it.  That's why I've been putting them off for a long time.  However, things have come due, and I can't avoid paying two guys who run the March Madness brackets I'm a part of anymore.  So one I paid via PayPal last night, the other I'm about to seal up a check for him in an envelope.

That has spurred me into taking care of some monetary donations I've wanted to do, but hadn't yet done so.  Again, money was the big issue.  Still is -- I really shouldn't be sending money away to charity because I have too little.  But I promised that I would send money, and if I'm already sitting down and writing checks, I might as well do it for all of them.

Also, it's the first a da month, which is a good time to do some things.  I'm going to take advantage of my free once-a-year credit report from one of the ratings agencies.  I think I'm going to change my ringtone and alarm tone (from the T-Mobile jingle and "Flight of the Valkyries," respectively).  And I just might scrutinize the leftover money from my HSA a little more.

Again, circumstances are forcing my hand.  I'm on a three-year satellite radio plan that is about to automatically renew on Saturday.  Even though the online player remains shit and everybody still has problems with the interface and getting it to work, I'm going to renew it, if on a shorter and cheaper plan.  Can't live without it.

It also just so happens that my Certficiate of Deposit is maturing around this time.  I need to take money out of it to pay for my credit card, which I think is currently at a grand, mostly due to car repairs.  (By the way, I established a new rate for this CD about 18 months ago.  I have made about $32.  CD's suck.)  And since I'm starting my new job on Monday -- more on that later -- I'm tying up loose ends when it comes to fun things to do.  I have a free movie ticket that's been sitting on my desk right here next to me.  Probably will go see Sucker Punch with it.

I have to think that my accruing expenses has to do with me finally getting off my ass and doing stuff.  Either you are doing a bunch of things at once or you're doing nothing.  And needing to pay my bills is finally forcing me to do things, which in turn compels me to do other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment