Tuesday, April 19, 2011

RIP, Mafia Wars On MySpace

Well shit, that was quick.  A few months after Overdrive shut down on MySpace, Mafia Wars did the same.

I was busy watching Gopher baseball games at Target Field this weekend, so I don't quite remember if I checked in at all since, oh, Friday afternoon.  (Maybe I did Saturday afternoon, before the game, while I was having coffee and watching the NBA Playoffs online.)

I logged in just about a half-hour ago and see this message saying they had shut down effective today, if today was Monday the 18th.  They apologized for the suddenness of the termination, but they said "coding issues" necessitated the virtually immediate ending.

I hadn't blogged about this yet, but Green ... Planet (?) has been impossible to get into for the past few months.  Not like I cared about it too much -- I wasn't really "playing" it, just clicking on and saying "OK" to the same two messages that popped up -- the second I clicked on it and it said "temporarily down" or something like that, I stopped opening it up.  I figured I'd try it on occasion and if it was back up, it'd be back up.  I haven't tried it in a while, but with the death of Mafia Wars, I don't think Green Planet is up.  And I don't think it ever will be.

So in a matter of, oh, a year, four of the five games I played on MySpace went away.  Only Mobsters is left, and at the rate things are going, it'll be gone soon.  Shit man, everybody's jumping the MySpace ship.  What I signed up to just so I could be "friends" with chicks I saw naked in Playboy is fast becoming a ghost town.  I get status updates all the time on MySpace, but my "friends" are updating through Twitter, not on MySpace.  Without Twitter, MySpace would be nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment