Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Last Day Has Been Pushed Back, At Least Till Today

When I tried calling home to see how Grandmother was around lunchtime, she didn't pick up. Tried again after my lunch break/nap; still nothing. Either my parents took her to the nursing home this morning or she decided she didn't give a shit and was hanging out with her friends. If so, I thought, then good for her, saying "fuck you" to my 'Rents for throwing her into a home. Maybe she could just stay away and live life the way she wants.

When I came back at around 6 -- I actually was cut from work early, but I did not want to go back home so early, not these days -- I saw that Grandmother's bedroom light was on. So she didn't escape, but she wasn't taken, yet, either. I guess that's a good thing.

But there was a chance her being thrown out was pushed back a day. When she skipped out on Friday, My Fucking Father was supposed to take her to the clinic for a TB shot, which had to be inspected 48 hours later. He made plans to take her to the doctor's on Friday and Sunday, but with her running away, he made a new appointment for Monday morning, at a time when she could not get away from My Fucking Father.

The initial plan was for her to be placed in the home today. But if she got the shot on Monday, she would have to be examined for this TB shot on Wednesday -- today. Presumably she could go directly from the clinic to the home if she got an immediate OK.

So, that means that tonight was the last night Grandmother lives in this house, after 30+ years of helping raise three kids and hold down the fort. No more giving her her insulin shot and making sure she takes her medications. No more hearing a knock on the door -- or six -- at night while watching TV. No more seeing her shuffle to the bathroom when you wanted to use it, or open the refrigerator to get a late-night snack.

She's gone because my parents want her gone. They've been in a good mood ever since they decided to close down The Store, but honestly, it looks like they've been downright giddy in the days leading up to Grandmother getting shipped out. It seems like every night during dinner they're cracking jokes, smiling and laughing at each other. Meanwhile the person who helped raise them when they were young is going to be sent off to the other side of the river to live her last days alone -- how disrespectful. Plus, their son is dealing with his fucking world fucking falling apart.

Tonight is the last night. And I feel really bad for feeling so tired right now. Have to stop blogging and being on the Internet, if only for work's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment