Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Is This It?

This is my last week scoring for this current project.  I have been concerned for some time that neither of the companies I work for have given me any indication there is more down the line, which is not good considering that the web shoot I have been helping out for the past three weekends just ended Sunday.  I have weekends free and now it looks like I have my week free as well?

I have semi-stalked the recruiting coordinator of the company I currently am not working for.  Left her a message last week saying I would be free starting next Monday.  Didn't hear from her, so I gave her another call during my morning break.  She said that there was one that begins on Wednesday -- Dorf on golf! -- and there might, might, be a little project that starts on the 9th.  But that's it.

Desperate, before leaving for the day I let the secretary I'm working for now know that I'm willing and available for anything the company has for the rest of the season.  She says that although she'll put me on a waitlist, the last few remaining projects coming down the pike have been staffed.  Which means that, at least this year, there's a high probability that I am done with this job as of Friday, maybe even sooner.

For reference I looked through last year's Franklin Quest.  This time last year I was in the middle of a project from the other company I work for.  There may have been a few days off here and there, but it appears that I was able to attach myself from project to project between the 16th of June 2011 all the way to the first week in August.  Wow, from the first week in August to getting wiped out in mid-June?  Unbelievable.

I love this job.  I really do.  I frequently say it's the first one where I've never really fallen asleep on.  But the part-time status of this, where I work almost five months one year and about three months the next, is not the basis for a career.

Which means I have to look for other work.  But I don't want to look for other work.  Because first, it'll probably suck compared to test scoring.  More importantly, I know I have to look for something more full-time, and more, you know, an actual job that doesn't take most of the year off.  That raises the possibility that if I find something permanent and next April comes around, I won't be able to test score.  I don't want to do that, but I can't afford to not work either, especially with my parents (I guess, I don't know) being at home a lot more often.

Man, I wish this job was permanent.  Or at least paid well enough that I could live off of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment