Friday, June 8, 2012

Poor Bastard Of The Moment: Erin Moran

She played Joanie on Happy Days -- and, because I made a point to watch it, spinoff Joanie Loves Chachi.  Moran obviously hasn't been an actor in demand for, like, three decades, but I didn't think that her wages would have been so sapped that she would slip into poverty.  But she has.

According to rag the National Enquirer (which unfortunately breaks more sordid and pathetic stories than I care to admit), Moran was evicted from her home in California, apparently because the Great Recession hasn't ended and it finally caught up with the former star.  She and her husband, Steve, flew/drove/hitchhiked all the way to a trailer park in Indiana, where they moved in with his ailing mom.  Now, this seems to be a blessing in disguise; I think it's totally cool that they're moving in to be at his mother's side.  But the circumstances behind that fortuitous new living arrangement wasn't borne of health but money.

The article said that Moran is taking things in stride, and she is still a plaintiff in a lawsuit with other Happy Days cast members that contends she is owed up to a half-million dollars in royalties.  Still, I shudder over the message this sends to me.  If a well-known young TV actress can be so washed-up to the point where she no longer can make ends meet, what the fuck can I do?  They had to move back with his mom; I'm living with my folks and that seems like a great idea now.  All day at work I have been thinking about whether to move out, but every single time my mind restarts my thinking, it eventually ends up with me going, "How the fuck am I going to pay for that?" and that train of thought cutting out so I could get back to work.  I know I should grow up, but goddamn, society!  For fuck's sake, look at Joanie freakin' Cunnigham!!  She's living in a fucking trailer park!!!


I know she's a female but -- poor bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment