Saturday, June 9, 2012

Observations About My New Place Of Work


  1. It takes an hour to get to and from work.  It's a goddamn nightmare.  There are three bottlenecks in the morning and two in the afternoon, and yet it takes about 60 minutes anyway.  I hate traffic, and ever since I started this project on Monday I was reminded why I prefer off-shifts like the graveyard.  Being stuck with other people, constantly braking and potentially getting into an accident dozens more times than you would other times of the day -- and especially doing all of this as the weather's heating up, as it has this week -- is only exacerbating my irritation.  Of course it's worth it; there's no way to make money if I just stay home, and even with the long commute (and the fact I have to fill up my tank after I blog about this when I last filled up my tank Monday) what I spend on gas daily I make up for in, like, one hour.  Nevertheless it's arduous.
  2. I need to take naps, especially after I get worn out after spending an hour to get down to work.  Unfortunately, the parking spaces around the building complex is not conducive to that, at least I don't think.  They are oriented in such a way that the sun will go across my car through the day no matter how I park.  (And by the way, no trees that could provide shade, either.)  That means that, even though I have pretty much put the passenger seat on recline for the past three months, I can't relax in them in all my three private times (morning break, lunch, afternoon break).  On one of those times the sun will directly be on that seat.  I've tried just laying on it anyway and I fry like an egg on the sidewalk.  I can't pass out on that.  So I have to go to the driver's seat, recline that, and relax in that.  So when I drive out at the end of the day I get in with two reclined seats.  And I get paranoid of reclining the driver's seat because if the motor malfunctions, I have nothing to rest my back on while driving, and that scares the hell out of me.  But I need to close my eyes, so that's what I'll be doing the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment