Wednesday, July 31, 2013

$444?!?!?!

In late June I went to the doctor's because the pimple on my ass wasn't getting any better or smaller.  This despite the fact that according to my county, I have lost the low-cost health insurance I received from the state.  I am currently appealing that decision because I think they got their projections wrong (specifically, they think I have a full-time job when the jobs I have are temporary and seasonal).  But I had this appointment while the parents were away -- they still cannot, cannot, know about the pimple on my ass -- and I couldn't just let this sit if the diagnosis was dire.

Well, it wasn't, although the doctor's thought is that surgery is required.  I should get this done soon; after all, this was almost a month ago.  But I am waiting for another time when my parents are away; that's when I'll ask either my sister's best friend or one of my stripper friends to take me to the doctor's.  Of course, I can't do that unless and until I get health insurance.  My appeal, which I've pushed back once already, actually is tomorrow.  In the meantime I hope this pimple doesn't get worse.  It's getting uncomfortable to sit, however.

When I got to my appointment, the person who helped me noticed that I did not have health insurance.  I explained my situation, to which she gave me a waiver form saying that if I did not get health insurance, I would have to pay on my own.  Signed it hoping to stall on paying as much as possible before I got insurance.  So when I did get a bill, I didn't even open it.  Why give them money I can't afford to give them, especially if insurance will eventually pick up the tab?

Well, given that the appeal won't happen for awhile, a couple weeks ago, just to make sure this isn't something I had to deal with right away, I opened it.  The retail cost of my visit to the doctor's, which included him sticking something up my ass, was $444.  That I definitely cannot pay.

Now I'm under the gun.  I have to win this appeal.  I do have money to pay for this, but after the $850 I had to shell out to fix the hood that flew open on me last week, I really don't, you know?  And I do have a health savings account, but I think I have only a grand there.  One fucking visit just blows a hole into your whole fucking account.

I'm scared that they'll say that, even though the monthly projections are based on seasonal work, that is what the law is.  In that case I don't have much of a case to make (which is over the phone), and I'm basically fucked.  I don't know what else I can say besides, goddamn, it would really, really help me a lot if the county could take me in again.  I wish something could go my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment