Thursday, July 4, 2013

Addendum To: The Question That Shall Divide Us

Oh, I forgot to add that I had a bad day at work Monday.  My immediate supervisor flagged three papers I graded incorrectly.  I don't think I've ever been called out on so many papers on a single day in my life.  They were simple mistakes -- if this is wrong, don't worry about this, shit like that -- that I sometimes miss once a day.  The overwhelming spate of fuck-ups I have an excuse for: I only slept for two hours overnight (after taking a 2 1/2-hour nap in the evening) and was really fatigued all morning and really all day.  Nevertheless it was embarrassing, and I was afraid that those mistakes would cost me my chance on the next announced project, starting next week and lasting, oh, maybe four days.

Well, turns out it didn't.  Even though I got another bad paper grade yesterday, I also found out yesterday that I was indeed selected to help out on (I think) the very last project of the season.  Don't know how or why; today I still took many breaks to rest my finger and wrist, even though I had brought from home my wrist stabilizer Tuesday and, today, jerry-rigged a stand made up of upside-down baskets so I could put the mouse closer to my body in order to rest my out-of-place shoulder.

But still they like me.  Guess I shouldn't bitch about things I don't understand if they still think I'm good and fast enough to hire.

Unfortunately this project is about to end.  Well, I should say I am happy that it'll end some time early Friday because I dreaded today that we were working so fast we could have gotten done by the end of day today; man, we were struggling to get papers to score.  On the other hand, we once again got done well before the projected finish date of July 12.  My rule of thumb with guessing an end date on this projects -- counting the number of days given to complete it and divide by half, rounding up for half-days of work -- was just about spot-on; I told myself we would be guaranteed employment only through Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment