Monday, July 29, 2013

Oh, So They Didn't Fix The Hood Shocks?!

So today I finally just got the guts to open up my hood.  Hey, I still need to check on the power steering level and put more oil in my engine, and if I won't open up my hood because I'm afraid it'll spring up on me and break off while I'm driving it, why in the hell am I still driving it, you know?

I get here, to the library, and pop it open -- and instead of it opening up all the way by itself, and remains heavy, really heavy, on my hands.  Then I see one end of the passenger-side shock attached somewhere inside the guts of the car but otherwise laying flat and useless ... and no driver-side shock on the other side.  So they did not fix it.  I was under the assumption that he would.

Well, fuck, so now what?  I have to have the auto body shop finish the job.  And if somehow our wires were crossed and he didn't think I paid him to do that, or if he doesn't know how, I'll have to ask the mechanic.  I was lucky because he decided not to charge me labor to put in those shocks back in December (just for the parts themselves) because at the time I paid him $1,200 for new, um, real shocks and struts for the car.  Will he do that again?  I hope so.  But honestly, I don't want to call him, at least not right now, because I don't want to hear him say no.

However, I might let this slide, at least for a bit.  For one thing I'm tired of seeing these guys because that means my car needs fixing, and I'm tired of that.  For another: When I felt the hood weighing on my hands, I know -- well, I actually think -- that if, heaven forbid, I did not completely close the hood (which I did!) and I hit a bump or maybe railroad tracks that completely unlocked it, allowing air to tunnel underneath the hood, it wouldn't fly open.  I was basically screwed once the air pushed the hood up past a certain point; the shocks gave a huge assist, even though the wind and momentum tore the hood away from the shocks.  Can that happen if there are no shocks that could help lift up the hood?  Honestly, I don't know.  But I'll say no; the air might be able to come in underneath the hood, but it's so heavy that it would, at most, creep up only so much that I would notice it and hit the brakes, slamming the hood down under its own weight and gravity, and I'd be good to go, and none of the crap that happened to me last week could ever happen again.  Maybe I'm better without the hydraulic hood shocks, at least for now.

In the meantime I pressed down on the hood a few times to make it sure it stays down.  It better.

No comments:

Post a Comment