Monday, July 29, 2013

First Time I've Worked On My Computer From My Desk In ... Ten Days?

It's a weird feeling right now, typing away at my desk, right next to my bed, in my bedroom.  I don't remember exactly the last time I have done this.  Looking back on Wailing And Failing, the last blog post I remember doing here is My 2012 Playboy Playmate Review.  It's possible I've surfed the Internet from here, but I can't recall.  Therefore, this may be the first time in ten days I've used my actual desk.

Don't exactly know why, although I suspect it's a bunch of things.  First off, I have a bunch of papers that I keep laying around with the intention of reading them some time.  I don't want My Fucking Father to come into my bedroom (which he often does to snoop around) and see them lying on the floor, so I put them on my desk chair before I leave every day.  I guess ten days ago I saw that pile on my chair and thought, eh, leave them there.  I hadn't touched that pile until I took them off my chair and onto my bed just now.

Another factor is something that My Fucking Father keeps asking me to do: Use my former bedroom, the one he forcefully removed me from, as a study.  It has the same desk that I have in my bedroom.  That means that the end of my laptop hangs over the end.  That's annoying, and if both desks do that to me while I'm writing, why would I use that desk?  But I use it.  Partially it's because to appease My Fucking Father.  Part of it is that it's good to get away from my bedroom once in awhile.  Another thing: I started going back there (I've used my computer there from time to time) a week after I lost my job at the testing center.  Maybe it has something to do with that, I don't know.

Finally, I have come to the slowest part of the TV watching year.  It's the summer doldrums, exacerbated by the fact that we do not have cable.  I hear there are some very good TV series on that side, but I just cannot justify the increasing expense of cable and/or satellite.  That means that I am at the mercy of over-the-air TV.  And the only new show I have to look forward to is So You Think You Can Dance on Tuesdays.  I see reruns of The Middle (yes, I'm the one who watches it and keeps that show on the air; I like it 'cause it's a good, modest family show, OK?) and Suburgatory on Wednesdays and the 60 Minutes/Simpsons block on Sundays (even though I fell asleep at the start of the latter's second segment tonight), but till the new season begins, that's it.

As you can imagine, I have a TV in my room.  I'll always be on the Internet; funny how something 20 years ago changes your life.  Anyway, if there is something I want to watch, but I know I want to surf the Web, I put my lap on my desk here in my bedroom and multi-task.  But I don't do that in the summer, or at least not right now.  With nothing to watch, I don't have to watch my shows and then look at the Internet during commercial breaks.  For at least the past ten days, I just watch the few shows I watch, then once I'm done watching television for the night I either try to take a nap or take my computer bag to my old room and start surfing.

I used to hate that, but right now I like it a lot.  And come to think of it, going to my old bedroom, which is on the other side of the upper floor of my house, could be seen as an act of rebellion.  Being in there so often would be like telling My Fucking Father that I still prefer that room to this one -- and I do.

So why am I working back in my bedroom now?

No comments:

Post a Comment