Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Leadership Fail

I had this nagging suspicion that I had to tell the winner of our club's award that she won.  I meant to do so, but I just got so busy, so I didn't.  And besides, all I could think of was, Well, isn't the college going to notify her that she won?

It was only on Sunday, when a parents of an applicant (and someone who I know) inquired about the status of the application process, where I finally went through all my e-mails and discovered that it is in fact my job to notify the winners.  And I should have done that early June, when my alma mater finally gave the go-ahead.

So, I am a good month late in telling the winner she won.  This may bring up a lot of sticky situations.  Why couldn't the winner know earlier, for example; maybe financial arrangements would have been altered if they knew about this award sooner.  And what about the losers?  Will they get upset that their kid lost?  And are they going to be more upset that they didn't know till after the 4th of July holiday that we're giving this prize to someone else?  Just for the record, we're under no obligation to send those who did not get this award a letter saying we're rejecting them.  I'm trying to do the right thing here.  I'm just doing it super late, maybe even too late.

Regardless, I think I am a douchebag for not doing this sooner.  I would have, but I got so busy, then my parents decided to task me with figuring out how to do this long fucking road trip (which I haven't yet talked about but I will soon), then we went, and then it was Independence Weekend, and I got around to it now, OK?  I'm sorry.  Sheesh, maybe someone else could do a better job leading the club than me. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment