Monday, July 28, 2014

OK, Now Can I Run Home And Hide?

And I must say that it was a smashing time -- no thanks to me, of course, because I really didn't do shit.  The lofty grandeur of the party was awesome.  And I think the attendees could sense that this could not only be good for them and their kids, but it could be just plain awesome to go to.  This was the largest annual gathering of this I can remember.  Totally epic party, at least far as chaste shindigs go ... and I contributed little to nothing.

After it was over the host/director of the party and I sat down for a chat.  Do you remember movies where there's a scene in which the good guy sits down and has dinner with the bad guy, and it seems all peaceful on the surface but you can sense the tension underneath?  Yeah, that's kind of what our little chat after the party was.  This was a dressing down/this-is-what-happened speech.  And -- and I totally mean this -- she calmly told me how she took control.  She did this because she is a bitch.  She said that about herself.  Also, she knew that although I couldn't get answers about anything from my alma mater, she can.  And then she cackled.  And then I cackled -- partly because I knew that to be an indisputable fact, partly because I think she could have my degree revoked if she wanted.

But I will say this: She ordered up a tremendous party.  And I think she, as well as you, would agree that Bitches Get Shit Done.  Given her behavior and attitude I would have been upset with her if I knew I had more invested in this party.  But since I totally underestimated what it would be and became overwhelmed by what it had become, this was clearly her show, and I cannot dispute the results.  And as she continued to explain herself (over the course of a few hours, in fact -- I decided to cancel dinner at home with my parents, we were having such a good time), as she continued to give examples from her life that she knew I could take as bitchy ... well, I've got to admit, the more I like her.  The more I saw that we were two vastly different people, the more I like -- or at least admire/respect -- her.

Now, do I want to get on her bad side?  I don't want to even think about that.

---

Now, onto damage control. ...

I still don't understand this completely, but I am going on the assumption that a person who hosts us for games no longer wants to do that because the group who watches, as well as I, have taken advantage of their generosity.  I don't understand why they would not have told me this first; I have no reason to believe that we do not have a good vibe.  But I need to deal with this with an apology.  Besides, I'm getting mixed messages; not only have I caught wind of her anger from two different sources (albeit secondhand, and one of these sources could have told the other, so really it would only be one source), but what was mentioned were me talking to myself and acting out -- two things that only someone who's been around me would know.

After that I have to talk to my predecessor.  I'm glad this is all over, but I may have bollixed this up so much that maybe I'm not cut out for this.  I'm just not ... well, I'm worn out, partly because I feel responsible for being irresponsible in setting up this party.  After getting home all I wanted to do was curl up in my bed and hide under the covers for the rest of my life.  This socializing stuff isn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment