Friday, July 4, 2014

Addendum To: Fuck -- Thanks For The Surprise, Mom

Well, much to my surprise, Mother nor Father made a peep about how shitty the car is these days.  On our drive to work in the morning the taillight warning light naturally came on as soon as I pushed down the brake pedal, and the low oil level light came on intermittently, also as usual, but beyond that there was nothing of incident with the car.  Oh, and Mother didn't raise much of a stink when I arrived downtown.  I was prepared to beat back any questions of, "I thought you worked in the suburbs!" with the line, "No, I told you I got a new temp job."  So far, that lie is not needed.

Coming back I was expecting the worst, seeing as Mother now had the time to drive my car on her own.  Surely she would see something and scream something at me when she picked me up.  But she didn't.  She was behind the wheel on our way home from downtown, and I glanced at the dashboard from time to time.  The taillight warning light was on the whole time, of course, but I didn't see the low oil level light nor, more importantly, the Check Engine light.  It might have helped that when she asked for the quickest way home I told her to take the side street instead of the highway, when that's not true; I think accelerations to highway speeds triggers the Check Engine light.  But surely she must have gone on the highway some time in the afternoon, hasn't she?  If not, great.  But if she has, why didn't she say anything?  Is she giving me space ... or have I underestimated her and she doesn't really care?

And now they're on vacation, so they'll probably forget about the commute, though not necessarily about the car.  Maybe I was too worried for no good reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment