Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Scary Weird Woman In The Neighborhood

So Saturday evening, as I was driving to the stripclub out of town, I saw this big, beautiful dog trundle off of the side street.  I slow down, just in case.  Then I see the owner/handler catch up to it ... then fall, almost on top of the dog, into one of the rather large ... well, I wouldn't say potholes but the cracks in the pavement.  Worse yet, we had a small but pretty intense outburst of rain that afternoon, so she stepped into not just a puddle but a, well, quickly-made pool.  I have never seen that before.

What happened next gave me a lot of pause.  This woman had trouble getting up.  At first I thought she just had to step out of this big pool.  But as the seconds went by and I kept my car idling at the stop sign just down the street, she still wasn't getting up.  She wasn't quite struggling to get up in a prompt manner, either.  She was ... well, moving, but she wasn't composing herself in order to get out of the water.  What I'm trying to say is this woman wasn't acting as if she knew how to get up.  That's when what I saw started to get weird.

My next instinct was to just run.  But while staring at her this dog wandered away from her.  I think he/she walked over to my side of my car, then in front of the car, but while continuing to watch this weird woman, I lost track of he/she.  Now I don't want to run over the dog.  So I was stuck.  Thank goodness this wasn't a workday morning or afternoon; the way this idiot remained prone in the rainwater and unable to grab the dog, I could have been there for a long time.

Eventually I pushed down my window and asked, "Are you alright?"  She didn't look up.  I had no idea what to do.  I didn't want to go and potentially run over the dog if he or she was underneath my car.  But honestly I didn't want to step out of the car and find the dog or help her out of the puddle because she might have a disease or a knife.  So I stayed there, paralyzed.

Finally, she got/stumbled up.  As she started to walk away from me, I could see the waterline soaked up the left side of the jeans.  I was going to roll down my window again to ask if she was OK, but she turned her face to me.  She had a cut on her face and the blood was trickling down.  But she held her finger up at a speed slower than a person with all of her or his faculties would raise and whimpered, I think, "No."

A few feet in front of my parents' minivan she stooped down; that's when she grabbed the dog's leash.  Oh, glad I didn't move; I would have run the dog over.  And when I looked through my windshield I saw, also at this three-way stop, three cars waiting to drive the other way.  Happy to see other people were witnessing this insane shit show.  We all saw her stumble away, clumsily grabbing the dog's leash.

With the coast clear I wanted to get the hell away from this.  Before I did, one of the cars coming the other way rolled her window down and gestured me to stop.  The driver of that car said she called 911 on that woman.  Oh, so she's been acting like this around the neighborhood.  She also said she was worried about the dog.  Didn't think of that.  Now I'm scared he or she was/is in real danger.

I was going to drive down my neighborhood's main street, but it appeared this weirdo was walking down it, so I went down a side street.  As I was about to leave my neighborhood I saw a police car driving towards where all of this was happening, and driving at speed, well, not conducive to the neighborhood.  As I drove past the main street I expected to see two figures zigzagging my way, but I didn't.  Maybe she took the dog down another side street, or onto some guy's lawn?

Hope she's still not out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment