Monday, December 22, 2014

An Instance Where Procrastination Was A Good Thing

Some snow fell ... Monday?  It had to be after last weekend, when temperatures reached the low 50s.  But there was snow.  It wasn't enough to plow, but it was enough to shovel.  Except that it wasn't high enough where it would affect getting onto the driveway or walking to get the mail.  Add to that that I was busy doing other things, and I did to the snow what I do to a bunch of things in my house, like my clothes and papers I take home and promise myself to read: I left it there.

My thinking process was that I heard on the weather report (when I had time to hear it) that there was going to be snow early next week.  And why shovel the snow off the driveway when I'm just going to have to do it again a week later?  If it's not bothering me now, don't do it until it does bother me, and if I'm fighting through the snow and saying to myself, "Why in the hell didn't I shovel a part of this sooner?" but in the meantime I'll risk it.

But something I didn't catch in the forecast happened staring Saturday night: Rain.  I had caught that freezing drizzle might be falling around that time, and I was afraid it'd be so bad I would have to scuttle my plans on going to the Megamall and watch the NCAA women's volleyball final at Hooters.  But when I stepped outside all I felt was wetness -- rain but no snow, and certainly not ice.  That changed a tad to sleet this morning, but the air temperature remained a few degrees above freezing, so everything melted on contact with the ground.

And then it got warm enough to turn completely to rain.  And that's manna from heaven, because that washed away most of the snow!  Now, much of the driveway is wet, not white.  There are still some parts that are covered with wet remnants of snow, but it's far from the 2-3 inches of snow that was on my driveway after Monday and/or Tuesday.  And driving away from and back home today, all of my neighbors who had the time to at least some of the driveway has bare concrete now.

So this was a case where procrastination did me right.  Mother Nature saved me from expending unnecessary energy shoveling snow when she removed it herself.  Now, there is snow that is supposed to come Monday night into Wednesday morning.  It'll ensure us a White Christmas, but it certainly won't be enough to plow, and I hear it might not be enough to even shovel.  And, most important of all, there is no snow on the ground to which to add to.  In fact I might not feel the need to do anything after this snowstorm, just like the last.

---

I would rather see snow on the ground for Christmas, just because it seems right.  But after our hellacious winter last year, and maybe because I am getting older, the rain and sleet we had this weekend was more than OK by me.  If it's cloudy and wet and above 32 on the Winter Solstice, aka The Day With The Shortest Daylight ... yeah, I'll take that, gladly!

No comments:

Post a Comment