Thursday, December 11, 2014

Update At Work

OK, a few things.  First of all, I spied the person who took the job I wanted ... and it wasn't one of The Two Temps.  It actually is a person who already works at the company, so I guess this was a position that was offered internally.  OK, maybe I overreacted; no one went behind my back to take this job from me.

Second of all, one of The Two Temps is leaving.  She found a new job, therefore tomorrow is her last day.  I have made peace with her.  She's actually been OK with me since things have died down and the bulk of the project is now behind us.  I have to admit, though, that my change in feelings largely have come after she moved across the way.  I don't see her unless she's taking the cart at the beginning of the day, bringing it back at the end of it, or if she wants to give me spreadsheets.

Nonetheless I will miss her.  After realizing that I'm not getting let go from my job because she's doing a better job, I've become to see her as a very competent worker.  I have to admit that day after day of seeing and cleaning up mistakes that the temps that are long gone made (this one girl -- oh, either she was stupid or she didn't care, and possibly both), I have come to appreciate how good she has been.  Now, that means that the other temp that's still there is him, and he unfortunately has remained both high-strung and boorishly standoffish.  Distance has tempered my ill feelings toward him (he also has moved to the other end of the building), but I had to talk to him today, and he still rubs me the wrong way.

Third of all, I kind of have a dilemma tomorrow.  I intend on going to the NCAA women's volleyball Minneapolis Regional games tomorrow, and to do that I want to bug out of work a little early.  I thought doing that would be even easier when, this morning, my boss told me he was taking Friday off.  But when I learned that this temp is leaving, I kind of now think it might not be a good idea to leave before she does.  Moreover, my boss has told me that I need to touch base with her tomorrow afternoon to make sure what strings she'll leave dangling so I can pick them up when I come back Monday.  Can I do that and leave early?  I probably could, but it might not look good.

On the bright side, I have been told I can stay and this assignment till Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment