Saturday, December 27, 2014

I'm Working Fridays Too?!

Didn't ask what days I had/have off these two weeks, the ones that include Christmas and New Year's Day.  Should have, but I assumed that since those days fall on Thursdays, we'd get the rest of the weeks off, so I would get to enjoy back-to-back three-day workweeks.

On Tuesday, I finally e-mailed my boss, just to make sure, if we have those days off.  He responded to me face-to-face when I came over to his work area to help him with something.  The verdict: We work Friday.  In other words, we get the Thursdays off, but have to go back to work each next Friday.

When he told me this, I looked him straight in the eye, and I know I couldn't hide the resentment from his face.  He knew I could tell what I was thinking: "You mean to tell me that I have to go back to work after I have a vacation in the middle of the week??  You've got to be fucking kidding me!!"  But all I said was, "OK," and I went back to work.  I would be so bad at poker.

I don't think this happened last year.  Yes, Christmas and New Year's fell on a Wednesday last year.  But I swear that I had three days off, and if I didn't, that's a goddamn bummer, too.  I mean, who takes only one day in the middle of the week off?

This means that I don't have a holiday off.  I really don't.  I have consecutive Thursdays off, but what the hell can you do if you only have one day off before you have to go back to work?  Now, if these fell on Fridays, you have a three-day weekend, and then you can really get rolling on some projects you have to do, or stuff you want to do.  But I can't do that with only one day.

Now, having a random day off is good, but in my circumstances, it's not.  Compounding this surprise is that -- oh, I haven't talked about this yet -- my parents are coming home very soon.  It's just after the New Year, in fact.  So I have all this work, more days working than I thought, and after all the special ... things regarding the New Year is over, my parents come home.  I have to make sure the house is clean and everything is in order during holiday season, and I don't know how in the hell I'm going to do that.

Plus I had plans, lots of plans, foremost of which is getting my car fixed.  The outside of the car, specifically getting the rust removed.  Yeah, I don't think anybody does that, but I do, because I love that car.  I wish I could have had more time to think about it and get it done.  But if my folks are coming back after the New Year, it has to be done before the New Year -- in other words, Monday, when I'm bringing it in.  And it'll take time to remove all the rust and get the paint back on.  And I called; they had Thursday and Friday off last week.  Wednesday (Christmas Eve), too.  If they have the same arrangement this week, and this is, say, a weeklong job, I can't get my car's rust removed.  All because my parents are coming home earlier than I thought.

OK, so maybe that has nothing to do with getting only one day off.  But it still sucks.  I'm working, then I'm working some more, and then my parents come home, and this ... situation that I have is all gone, and I don't think I have the time to prepare.  That's why I could have used a couple days off -- just to breathe.  And I fucking can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment