Monday, December 29, 2014

Can't get work at the game today out of my mind.  It was hectic as usual.  The bosses doing the production were, to be honest, just as verbally abusive, as usual.  And yet the words, the insults, and the tone he gave still stood out.  None of it was directed at me, but the guy who hired me for today.  And the guy was working hard and just asking questions, but the guy was all, "Why the fuck aren't you listening?  That stuff you're giving me is bullshit!  Don't you know anything?"  That stuff is repeated countless times when I'm working games.  It isn't dissimilar to what I usually hear.  But today, for this guy who's only just doing his job, it really got to me.  I got upset for him.  That asshole really pissed me off.

And after the game, and really all through the night, I'm still pissed off.  I cannot stop thinking about work Sunday.  Why work in sports if this is the bullshit you're going to get?  And how is it always like this?  It's as if the juvenile, petulant pricks who grow up bullying the nerds in high school all figured out that their abuse is not only tolerated but rewarded (and handsomely, if what I hear and research about sports is true) in this industry, the industry it so happens that I love.  The underlings probably feel the same way; they've just decided to put up with this bullshit in order to stay in a job that they otherwise love.

Me, I don't know.  I love sports, and I love production.  I also love positive (well, non-negative) work environments, and actually looking forward to seeing the people you have to work for every day.  In this industry it appears that I can't have all of that.  And instead of just taking it, I am more convinced that walking away is the right thing to do.  Because life is too goddamn short for assholes to get away with yelling at you every fucking minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment