Thursday, December 25, 2014

And The Christmas Song For This Christmas Is ...

... by Pearl Jam.  Diehards probably know this by heart; casual fans probably don't know this at all.

I was given a tape in a Christmas gift exchange in my dorm freshman year.  It was the annual Christmas tape by the Kevin and Bean morning show on KROQ, L.A.'s world-famous alternative-rock station called No Toys For OJ.  I'm usually not into these morning zoo compilations, but there's a really hot bit of Cindy Crawford licking a lollipop (audio only; remember, this is back in the mid-90's, plus this was a cassette tape).  Also, since this is alternative rock, there were a lot of good songs I was into, including the first one on Side B, by a band that I had never heard of.  However, once I heard Eddie Vedder's raspy voice after the quiet guitar koan that starts "Let Me Sleep (It's Christmastime)," I figured out it was PJ.

Just looking out my window and I see there's snow falling, doing its best to cover the bare grass and pavement.  Maybe we'll have a White Christmas after all.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment