Thursday, August 25, 2022

A Good Night's Sleep, And Now I'm Paying For It

Sometimes, believe it or not, my worst days at work come after a good night's sleep.  Today is a case in point.

Last night I came back from a quick workout.  I showered, went back to my bed, did some stuff online, then conked off between 11 and 11:30.  I felt tired, but I had a peanut butter sandwich I was going to eat (after adding jelly) and about 75% of a coffee I bought for the day but did not drink if I either didn't go to bed or woke up after a brief nap.

Alas, my body said, "Nope, you're lying still for seven hours."  And so, while I had the alarm woke me up, I was refreshed and happy I got some good sleep.  Add an easy time at My Favorite Department (where I'll also be tomorrow), and I think the rest of my workweek was going to be an easy glide to the weekend.

Alas, my day went, "Nope, you're going to go through a bit of hell."  The hard drive on the computer at this workstation was swapped for some damn reason, and that means most of the work I need for this job -- forms to fill out, inboxes I need to reach -- had to be mapped, and that's something I don't know how to do.  I tried anyway before asking my boss.  That was a waste of two hours.

Things got better in the afternoon, but I got sidetracked by my boss asking me to do data entry because they were backed up out there.  My co-worker who is in My Favorite Department full-time was a bit miffed at it, but she thought she could handle the workload without me.  So I finish up keying, I leave ... and I get home to discover I left my phone at work.  Great.

I have a phone call I need to take at 6:30.  I also have some medication I need to pick up, which I planned to do around 6.  That pharmacy is close by, but I was hoping I could tuck in a little nap, but I can't do that now that I have to pick up my phone ... especially since I turned on my alarm for 6 o'clock and I should leave NOW before my other co-workers try to figure out where the hell that sound is coming from.

I kind of wonder if my day would have gone better if I only had my typical four hours of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment