Monday, April 20, 2015

Screwing Things Up Food-Wise Lately (ETA: Well, Maybe Not Lately, More Like A Few Weeks Ago)

One Saturday a few weeks ago I had overtime at the test scoring place, and since my parents usually don't make me breakfast, I took that as an opportunity to drive in early, stop by the nearby McDonald's, and order breakfast for the first time in a long time.  Mickey D's apparently is going to extend breakfast to all hours of the day (starting in San Diego on -- and you've got to believe that I did not know this before I began this blog post, which I've been sitting on for a while now -- today, which just happens to be 4/20!) in a fairly desperate attempt to stanch their financial losses because, at least according to some people, their breakfast remains wildly popular compared to their non-breakfast menu, and that spurred me on to having breakfast there.  That may not make sense to you.  It barely makes sense to me.  But that's my reason.

Anyway, I tried my best to leave early enough to eat at McDonald's without feeling rushed on my way into work.  But I spaced out on the drive there and took the wrong highway.  That meant I needed to use a side street to get to the test scoring place.  That may not have made a difference in time if this was morning rush hour.  But since it was the weekend, hell yeah it would've been faster if I stayed on the highway like I usually did.  I guess I harkened back to the days when my brother and I was forced to help out my parents at The Store on Saturdays when I drove the highways that led to The Store when we were young.  Yeah, I miss those times.  I miss The Store.

Maybe it wouldn't have made that big of a difference.  I may have lost at most five minutes.  But because I was late and didn't want to risk other delays making me even more late for work, I decided I had to take it with me.  I wanted some coffee, but I wanted to get a cappuccino at -- don't mock me, please -- the gas station.  They allow me to fill it up as much as I want, but I was going to drive with it, I didn't want it to spill, so I was going to fill it up only two-thirds of the way.  If I was going to get it at McDonald's I would have had to go to my car with it all filled because I didn't have time to wait for it to cool down.

Unfortunately, by the time I got to work the breakfast had cooled down.  And I got there just at 9 o'clock, so I was working and eating at the same time.  Therefore, I was eating lukewarm/cool food that I had to let sit and allow to get even cooler because I was working.  And -- again, this may only apply to me -- I just dove into my McDonald's, which was sausage, eggs and a biscuit without opening the bag wherein they provided napkins and utensils and overlooked the fact they also put in those small pockets of butter and jam.  That would've gone perfect with the (room temperature) biscuit had not scarfed it down while grading papers.  So I used my knife and scooped them out to eat separately.

All in all, a frustrating eating experience.  Thought I'd share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment