Sunday, April 26, 2015

Please, Minnesota, Don't Be Like A Red State

So I did my annual health insurance premium income check a few months ago.  Yesterday -- and remember that yesterday was Saturday -- I received a letter from them asking for more information.  I have been sent these "What?" forms a lot.  It always has to do with my declaration of projected annual income, which varies because, at least for right now, I am a temp.

However, along with the request for more information I saw that they had a due date for me to send these in.  It is April 26.  In other words, today.  Which is Sunday.

Now, do they know that they sent out a form which will determine how much, let alone if, I will get health insurance that 1) got to my mailbox on a Saturday (and in the early evening at that, since I got home from work) and 2) has a due date the following day which 3) falls on a Sunday, when there are no post offices open?  Do they?

They had better accept my forms postmarked Monday.  I'll get on this today (after I do some alumni club stuff, which already scares the shit out of me and print out some stuff at the library which, by the way, has limited hours because it's a Sunday), but I do not appreciate at all the fact that I have one days' warning that these health insurance documentation copies are due.  And it really pisses me off that this supposed due date falls on a Sunday.  It's as if they set me up.  There are post offices open on the weekend.  One in downtown Minneapolis has limited hours into the afternoon, a few hours after the rest in the state close.  And there is the airport post office, which extends to 11 or midnight every day.  Do they really expect me to assemble all these copies and drive all the way down to the airport to get this letter postmarked today, April 26 ... and after a day's notice, at that?

What I imagine is that they'll reject these forms because they'll be late -- "Sorry, these copies of your W-2's came after the due date, so we are not going to consider them.  We'll instead just imagine that you make $100,000 every year, so therefore we're going to take away your health insurance.  Sorry!"  That's what I think red states do, what states that rejected Obamacare will do to fuck over their residents.  Minnesota did not reject Obamacare.  So why do they do something as careless as this?

This has me really worried.  I cannot imagine that they'll get bent out of shape over something that was postmarked a day later than it was due.  I'll add a sternly worded letter sharing my concerns, and hopefully it'll fall under sympathetic eyes.  But if I somehow lose my health insurance because of this, man, I will be really, really mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment