Monday, April 13, 2015

Missing 1040X

Alright, so it's tax time, and I'm doing this now because on Tax Day I start my next scoring project.  (I owe both the country and the state, and even after I added some funds to my HSA, I still owe both because that transfer lowered my contributions only by an incremental amount.  For the record, I owe the country just over $111 and the state $46.  I'm not sure what changed from last year, when my taxes were a wash.)

And since I'm doing taxes, I thought about going to this tax project I started a year (or maybe two) ago because hey, might as well do all these taxes at once.  Either on my taxes for last year, the year before or the year before that, I later realized that I did them wrong and that I in fact should have paid out less money than I did.  Something about not doing a worksheet.

So, for up to (I think) three years, you can send in a revised tax return to both the country and the state, explain why you're sending them, and, hopefully, you'll get some of your money back.  This was uncharted territory, so I didn't really pound it out over a day.  I may have been going back to it over the course of three years.  It's been so long I forget for which year I'm revising my taxes.

So, at the library yesterday I had time and thought I would finally finish my revised tax return, the 1040X.  But I don't know where it is.  Looked in my computer bag, where I have many papers, but it's not there.  I checked my bookbag, including my clipboard, where I usually put my important papers, but it's not there.  After I got home I tried looking through my night desk, where I shove a lot of shit, but it's not there either.

So, I guess, I'm screwed.  I swear I still have it in a place where I have regular, daily access to it.  Or, I could have thrown it into storage.  Oh, well.  If it's been three years, it's too late now, and if it's less than that, I have no momentum after I finish up my taxes today to go doing taxes from a bygone year once again.

FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment