Friday, April 3, 2015

Addendum To: Back Into The Belly Of The Beast

So, the verdict: New mass air flow sensor, new air intake tube, new gasket.  Dealership said about $1,800.  I think both of us knew there's no way in hell I would get it fixed there.

Yesterday I had some sexytime with ****e*.  The dealership called me about that diagnosis when I was about to get naked in front of her.  She overheard what the representative on the other end of the phone was saying and immediately told me to not agree to anything.  It just so happens that after we got done with what we were going to do, she needed me to go to her mechanic to pick up tires for her car.  She trusts him, so after I got off the phone with the dealership, ****e* (while completely naked) immediately dialed up her guy and asked for a quick estimate of what I needed.

I get the feeling that she thinks I go to the dealership.  Of course I don't.  Like I said, The Other Mechanic Around The Corner failed to fix my car's hesitation problem, and so I decided that the dealership had to know what was wrong with it, and so I was willing to part with -- ahem -- $300 to finally know what the hell was wrong.  Then I was going to take it to an independent shop to get it fixed for about half the price ... which, at least over the phone and without taking a look at it, is what they're going to charge me.  I thanked ****e*, and then she said I needed to give her an extra $20, and I agreed because, well, I was already there.  She was great (might talk about it later), but I don't think I can afford her again.

After blogging about this here at the coffeeshop, and assuming that my car doesn't break down on the way there (it hasn't acted up since Wednesday; it's due), I hope to get an estimate from these guys that is, um, not going to bankrupt me.  And then I have to set aside some time to get it fixed next week.  Thank God I am not working right now.

---

Let me take something back: From the call I got just this morning, maybe he does kind of hold out hope that I would get this fixed at their place.  That makes me feel guilty that I am going to them for diagnosis but somewhere else for replacement.  They did correctly diagnose the problem, or at least I assume they have; shouldn't I dance with who brung me?

But then I remember that he's asking for two grand, and I also think that $300 is a more than fair transaction for the service the dealership rendered.  And then I hope that there's, like, a Yelp where I can tell the world how good they were.  And then I will go somewhere else to get my car fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment