Friday, July 24, 2015

Last Day At This Type Of Work

Another test scoring job was presented to me, therefore I am leaving this one after about a month to start there.  I haven't told them it's only two weeks long; I told them about a couple months, which justifies at least a paycheck that makes it worth more to go there than to stay here.

I'm not exactly sure, though, if it's the right decision.  I really, really thought the project was going to end today (Friday).  But last week 40% of the people were switched to another project.  Then, we were told some of our scores were bad and we would have to re-score them.  That pushed the end of this project well into next week.

Meanwhile, I'm not quite sure of the parameters of scoring project I'm going to.  I think it's only seven hours a day, as opposed to eight with this one.  Moreover, it's well across the other side of town, about 14.6 miles away, so it'll eat gas (and therefore money) at a much higher rate, and that doesn't include stop-and-go traffic.  Finally, even though it lasts two weeks, I'm not sure if it's going to last that long.  Again, my rule is take the expected end date and cut in half.  I am sure we'll get through to Friday.  The project I'm leaving now says it'll end Thursday.  So you couple that with the hours (the pay, I think, will be just about the same) and the difference in miles driven ... and it might be better if I just saw this project out and found other employment somewhere else.  We'll see.

---

By the way, when I told my immediate supervisor this, he actually wished me well.  The guy who I regarded as taking three-plus bucks from me was actually, well, not cold to me.  So ... OK, maybe he isn't so bad.  And that traffic plug, I learned, could be avoided if I took a left here and just went around.  So, at the end of it all, I can accept.

I really hope that I don't regret leaving this job early for something else far, far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment