Wednesday, July 15, 2015

What The Fuck Is Happening To Traffic At Work?

I understood that there is ongoing construction on 494 and 100 close to my place of work.  Beginning on Monday Westbound 394 is also closed, and I guess that's affecting my area, too.  But geez, what the hell is going on now?

First I got backed up on a side street to the point where I was docked 15 minutes' pay for being late.  Thought it was a fluke.  Turns out this street, at this particular intersection that is not the way to a highway, is getting jammed up on the regular.  I was running late this morning, so I basically freaked out and jumped out of the traffic and turned into the parking lot not of my actual workplace but the right next to it.  I was hoping I could find a way around, but I couldn't, so I just parked, ran up the hill and got to my desk before "the threshold."  An hour later I slipped out of the building in order to drive my car to my actual work lot so the business next door doesn't tow me.  Glad no one called me out on it, especially the business next door.  But hey, easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, right?

Regardless of what happens on the way into work in the morning, I knew every test season that there is a bit of a backup on the way from work in the afternoon.  But it was five, maybe ten minutes at most before I got to drive through the intersection and get clear of the congestion.  Slowly over the days this season, however, the line where the traffic jam begins has gotten longer and longer.  And just now it got absolutely fucking ridiculous.  I had to spend 15-to-20 minutes getting through the intersection before being able to drive at a speed fast enough so that the car wouldn't shudder.

Today I got home 45 minutes after I started my car.  On some days (granted it was the best days) when I was working at the other test scoring place much farther away, it took me 40 minutes.  There are some advantages coming to work at this place I'm working at now, and the commute was one of them.  (Whenever I'm on 694 and look over the median barrier and see the cars stacked up going the other way [both in the morning and the afternoon], I just laugh, laugh, laugh!).  Now, it's not.  Now, it seems as if I have to do what I usually do when I'm working at the other place and make sure I give myself a damn whole hour to make sure I get to work on time.  Are you fucking kidding me?

It looks like this project I'm on will now end next week.  Not needing to go through this shitty traffic will be the only good thing about the end of this job.

No comments:

Post a Comment