Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Sorry, Honda People

When my car broke down and my family was frantically calling around dealerships (and I might as well let the cat out of the bag -- I got a Honda), we sent out a flurry of e-mails, and naturally, all the car salesmen replied to us in order to grab some of our business.  With the exception of one, however, we just went to the dealerships closest to us, and we grabbed a car on the third try.

Nevertheless I wanted to reply to all the other dealerships to at least let them know of the decision we made.  I know it was totally unnecessary, but I didn't want to be like all the other people who (I presume) asked for a price quote and didn't get back to them.  I wanted to be different, to stand out, even if it turned out I wasn't going to give them any money.  Who knows, it could pay dividends in the near future if I need a deal on another car.  Regardless, despite the very shady run-ins with the guys at the dealerships we met face-to-face, I felt at least not leaving them hanging was the right thing to do after thrashing about with desperate pleas for quotes.

But then, well, life intervened.  Getting a new car was such a pain-in-the-ass because it took me away from work, so I just wanted to get back to my routine once I got it.  Going back to e-mails from people we decided not to see was not a priority, even if I did have the best of intentions.  And although it remained in the back of my mind I was able to push it away, till the tide of memories and the fact that it's not been almost three months led me to finally spend some idle hours going back into My Father's e-mail account and finally respond.

Problem was, they were all gone.  My Father grimly deletes old e-mails with abandon, but I swear it wasn't too long ago where I had went into his inbox (I have his password) and saw that the old Honda dealership inquiries were still there.  I had meant to get back to them, but I just assumed that because they were there this far past my initial e-mail, they would be around for a while longer.  Whether it was My Father erasing them or America Online (OK, I let another cat out of the bag) doing the work for him, they are gone, probably for good.  So I guess I am like all the rest.  I apologize.

OK, can't ever go back to those guys again.  Wait ... they're car salesmen.  They'll hunt down any lead if it means getting money on the spot for a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment