Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Run-In With The Whirlpool Guy

Today I was helping my father buy a part for a Whirlpool oven in a house he owns. Everything seems to be there except the ... what do you call it ... the outdoor door thingy. There's a window where you can see into the stove, but what you see around it is the inside, which is stainless steel and has notches where the exterior door thingy's supposed to be. I failed till it was too late to realize that the outer door thing had to have a window, too. Otherwise, how the hell are you going to see into the oven?

I'm having a difficult time describing it here, so you can tell that my inability to communicate that probably led to my frustration in trying to order the part, as well as the Whirlpool call center rep's frustration (name: Chris) in trying to help me:

"I need the exterior part of the door with a window in it."

"Is there the handle to the oven on top and the droor on the bottom?"

"Yeah, they're both there. I need what's in the middle."

"OK, you need the outer glass door?"

"Well, I have a door here with a window that lets me peek into the oven. I need what's outside it."

"OK. You need the outer glass door."

"Well, I'm not really sure, see, I have this door here with a window. I see it's surrounded by stainless steel with notches on its sides, like something is supposed to slip onto it. I don't know what you call it."

"YOU. WANT. THE. OUTER. GLASS. DOOR."

"OK."

I was so dense I can understand Chris getting a bit impatient with me. But ... he was yelling at me, so fuck him.

The "outer glass door," by the way, costs over $100. My father says he can buy a used oven for less than that. I just didn't want to order anything from Chris after how he spoke to me. Besides, before asking me what I needed I gave him my contact information -- he was going to "open up a file" for me. Why the fuck do you need to open up a file for me when I just wanted to ask you a fucking question? And do you really need it now even though I didn't order anything from you? Goddamn, if I get junk mail from Whirlpool, I'm fucking taking Chris down. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment