Sunday, January 3, 2010

RIP, Ralph Marlin And Godfather's Pizza

Unless I'm wrong, the economy has claimed two more victims.

I was driving the other day and I saw a torn-off and shatter sign where the sign for Godfather's Pizza used to be. They apparently closed. I may have eaten there about 20 years ago, and one time about a decade ago I walked in to try and eat a lunch buffet only to walk back out because I was afraid to be seen eating at a buffet all by myself.

The one that kind of bothers me, but one I anticipated for some time, is the Ralph Marlin store at the Mall Of America. When I was working and wearing ties because I wanted to, I would buy all of my ties at Ralph Marlin, known for putting identifiable pop culture things on them. I particularly was partial to their art collection; I have Marlin ties of Homer's "American Gothic," Van Gogh's "Starry Night," and Munch's "The Scream."

But I haven't had to wear those ties for a long time now. A lot of people don't now that business suits are relegated to some very high-office positions. I sensed the end about a year ago, when I bought three ties for $15. Haven't worn them yet. I last peered in the store just before Christmas. They have a lot of nice, though loud, ties, and they tried to branch out to pajamas, but I guess it wasn't enough.

I went to the Megamall earlier this week. Went by Ralph Marlin and saw black paper over the translucent doors and windows. Sorry, dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment